Date Added: 6 October 2018
: 2 December 2018
Job Title: Head of the Mayor's Office
Working For: London Borough of Newham
Salary: £50,000 - £74,999
We are willing to pay up to £75k for a suitably experienced and skilled candidate
The position is a vital role within the council advising the Mayor on policy and administrative issues and managing the support team for the Mayor, and Cabinet. Working in a diverse community context, be people focused and help recast the relationship between residents in Newham and the council.
• advising the Mayor on a wide range of policy and administrative issues;
• commissioning work on behalf of the Mayor;
• recording and disseminating decisions;
• oversee the mayoral diary and casework;
• working closely with the chief executive and advising senior council officers, to ensure that Mayoral decisions and requirements are properly communicated and that the Mayor is fully briefed and well informed;
• working closely with the policy and communications teams to help drive forward and communicate the Mayor’s agenda and priorities.
Managing a small team of support staff, and also helping to coordinate a wider team of caseworkers, policy officers and democratic services.
• have experience working in high pressured political environment;
• have keen political astuteness and understanding of the appropriate connections between elected politicians and officials;
• have an appreciation of the mayoral model and the importance of governing with the highest ethical standards;
• demonstrate an understanding of the linkages between politics and management and the different challenges for strategic and operational management in London local government;
• have an understanding of London local government and its political structures;
• have a good understanding of local government and how it works;
• have a good understanding of the economic and social policy environment that impacts upon local authorities in London;
• excel at partnership working and be an effective negotiator and influencer;
• have the ability to generate trust and confidence through their actions;
• have excellent written and oral communication skills;
• have experience managing teams and getting the best out of them;
• demonstrate a high degree of tact and diplomacy when dealing with sensitive and high profile issues
• identify and respond to key priorities in a timely fashion.
Closing Date: 2 December 2018
To complete a successful application, please carefully review the person specification and ensure you offer examples of your work experience.
Interviews to be held: w/c 19th November
To apply for this position click on the link below: