Date Added: 6 October 2018
: 31 October 2018
Job Title: Junior Secretary [part-time]
Working For: Rt Hon Mark Harper MP (Forest of Dean)
Salary: c. £19,890 FTE pro-rated (exact salary dependent on hours agreed)
A fantastic opportunity has arisen to join the office of the Rt Hon Mark Harper MP. The position is based in his Parliamentary office in Westminster, London.
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to gain invaluable experience working in a dynamic, high-level environment. The work is varied and will involve significant exposure to influential ideas and policies, providing research support for local campaigns and policy development.
This is a part-time role, for 2 or 3 days per week, focused towards the start of the Parliamentary week (Monday-Thursday). The exact hours and work schedule are subject to agreement between both parties, but will allow flexibility for candidates looking to work alongside a continued course of study (e.g. a Masters).
The initial contract period is for 9 months, but may be considered for extension at the end of this period.
Applicants should have a genuine interest in politics and have a desire to progress and develop within a highly professional organisation.
- Research on a wide range of issues, including analysing reports, and assisting with the preparation of briefings and press releases.
- Drafting news articles for local media.
- Media tracking.
- Liaising with appropriate Government agencies, the voluntary sector and others on behalf of constituents.
- Drafting correspondence to constituents.
- Assisting with the work of other colleagues and communicating with internal and external contacts.
- Ensuring that cases are dealt with in a sensitive and confidential manner.
- Undertaking general administrative/secretarial tasks.
The following skills/qualities are essential for the role:
- Strong written and communication skills.
- Strong analytical skills and attention to detail.
- Good telephone manner.
- Team player with a flexible approach.
- Enthusiastic and reliable.
- Competent use of IT including email and internet to support the above.
- Sympathetic to the aims of the Conservative Party.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 31 October 2018
We reserve the right to close applications early if a successful candidate is found before the closing date. Interviews will take place soon after the closing date.
All applicants should send their CV with a covering letter to Edgar Johnson, quoting the reference number above, by email: firstname.lastname@example.org