Date Added: 7 December 2018
: 16 December 2018
Job Title: Parliamentary Intern
Working For: Luciana Berger MP (Liverpool Wavertree)
Salary: £10.55 per hour (London Living Wage, 37.5 hours per week)
This is an exciting opportunity to join Luciana and her busy team in her office in Westminster. This is a full-time paid internship which will last for three months.
You will learn first-hand about the work that MPs do representing their constituents in Parliament. This is a structured programme designed to develop a set of skills and experiences that will help the participant go onto employment within a political environment.
Working closely with and supporting Luciana and her team, you will develop skills in research and parliamentary procedure through involvement in a wide range of activities including providing administrative support, drafting parliamentary questions and assisting with research for speeches and debates, as and when required. This will be a challenging role, designed to develop the following:
• knowledge of parliamentary procedure;
• skills in researching and analysing policy issues and legislation;
• hold the Government to account and bring about change;
• office administration skills;
• expertise in managing a busy schedule;
• understanding of how MPs use Parliament to represent the concerns of their constituents;
• how to communicate effectively with both internal and external contacts, and;
• experience of working in a fast paced political environment.
We will be looking for the following qualities in applicants:
• upbeat and personable manner;
• ability to talk with confidence, on the phone and in person, with a range of stakeholders, including constituents;
• excellent written and personal communication skills;
• strong research ability;
• keen interest in politics and Parliament;
• excellent time management skills;
• ability to work both independently and as a member of a team;
• competent use of IT and Microsoft Office, including Excel.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 16 December 2018
The deadline for applications is midnight.
Interviews for this position will be held in Westminster on Wednesday 19th December.
The position will start on 7th January 2019.
Please send a CV and a one page (maximum) covering letter explaining how you fit the job description to firstname.lastname@example.org
Due to the high number of applications expected, only those shortlisted will be contacted. Therefore if you have not heard from us by 18th December your application has not been successful. Unfortunately, we will not be able to offer feedback on your application. Please accept our good wishes for your future career.