Date Added: 24 January 2019
: 11 February 2019
Job Title: Constituency Communications Manager
Working For: James Duddridge MP (Rochford and Southend East)
Salary: In line with IPSA pay scales (Full-Time)
James Duddridge MP is recruiting an enthusiastic, well organised and hard-working Communications Manager with experience of working in the media or PR. The post will be based in the Southend Constituency Office.
• Analyse, evaluate and interpret data to ensure the Member is accurately informed on key issues and is aware of trends
• Attend surgeries, tribunals and meetings as appropriate
• Develop knowledge in specialist areas
• Ensure all cases are logged; monitor progress and ensure all identified actions are taken
• Ensure records are kept and information managed confidentially and in line with the Data Protection Act
• Gather relevant information to resolve or progress cases
• Liaise with Government agencies, voluntary sector and others to resolve constituency matters
• Manage and progress portfolio of casework appropriately
• Management of projects
• Monitor media coverage, liaise with media, prepare press releases as required (on constituency, non-party political matters)
• Provide briefings for the Member
• Research local, regional or national issues to support the Member's work
• Respond to routine correspondence and enquiries from constituents, the media, lobbyists and pressure groups
• Supervise other members of staff
The successful candidate will have the following attributes/abilities:
• Excellent organisational skills.
• Strong written and oral communication skills with the ability to write for a range of different audiences.
• The proven ability to write, edit and proof content for press releases, newsletters and websites.
• Ability to carry out tasks quickly and to a high standard, with a clear and concise writing style with minimum supervision.
• A strong attention to detail and an ability to prioritise a demanding workload, meet deadlines and work under pressure.
• Political awareness, including the ability to devise campaigns and work alongside a range of stakeholders and colleagues in delivering political change.
• Sympathy with the aims and objectives of the Conservative Party.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 11 February 2019
Interviews to begin immediately. Start date will be as soon as possible thereafter
Applicants are asked to send their CV, a covering letter and examples of copy and press releases produced in previous employment or training to Pindie Kuzvinzwa at email@example.com
Covering letters should be no more than one A4 page and should include thoughts on using new media to increase public engagement with politics.