Date Added: 28 January 2019
: 17 February 2019
Job Title: Caseworker
Working For: Catherine West MP (Hornsey and Wood Green)
Salary: In line with IPSA pay scales
Catherine West MP is seeking a full-time Caseworker, working between Westminster and her constituency office in Wood Green.
Your role will be to provide advice and support to Catherine West MP’s constituents on a range of issues, such as housing, welfare, immigration and health, and help to resolve problems through liaison with government agencies, voluntary sector or other organisations.
Applicants should have a strong interest in local and national politics, sympathy to the values of the Labour Party and an awareness of the constituency of Hornsey & Wood Green. You will work alongside and report to the Senior Caseworker with overall line-management by the Head of Office.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Previous experience of managing and progressing casework.
- Knowledge of housing policy or practice and welfare rights.
- Excellent people skills.
- Excellent writing, communication and IT skills. Competence in using Caseworker.MP software is desirable but not essential.
- Interest in current affairs and sympathy with Labour Party values.
- Knowledge of a community language is desirable.
The job will include:
- Attendance at surgery to interview constituents concerning their cases and issues.
- Assessing casework coming in via post, email, or telephone.
- Generating responses to constituents and action letters to appropriate agencies (ie, Home Office, Haringey Council, Jobcentre Plus).
- Assessing replies received and generating response letters to constituents.
- Phone answering in rotation dealing with enquiries from constituents.
- Retaining records and information confidentially and in line with the Data Protection Act.
- Some evening and weekend working may be required.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 17 February 2019
Interview date: Monday 25 February. Please note the interview will also include a test so please allow up to 90 minutes.
Start date TBC early/mid April.
To apply, please send a covering letter outlining the reasons you believe you are suitable for the position together with a CV of no more than two sides of A4 to:
Email: email@example.com or
Post: Catherine West MP, House of Commons, London, SW1A 0AA
Please also enclose the contact details of two people (including your current or most recent employer) who can provide a reference. References will not be taken up until after the interview date.
Due to the high volume of applications expected, we will only contact you if you are shortlisted for the role.