Date Added: 28 February 2019
: 7 March 2019
Job Title: Caseworker
Working For: Chuka Umunna MP (Streatham)
Salary: In line with IPSA payscales
Chuka Umunna MP is looking for a highly motivated Caseworker to support the work of his busy constituency office in Streatham. The successful candidate will provide information, advice and support to constituents on a variety of issues and liaise with government agencies, the voluntary sector and others to help resolve matters for constituents.
- Attend surgeries and other meetings to assist the Member in dealing with constituents' issues.
- Deal with queries from constituents by phone or in person, and provide information, advice and support on a wide range of issues including housing, benefits, immigration, and other matters, gathering relevant information and taking the appropriate action to progress or resolve the case.
- Manage own caseload and progress of casework, ensuring all cases are dealt with in a sensitive and confidential manner and accurate records are kept in adherence to the principles of the Data Protection Act.
- On behalf of the Member, responding to constituents on casework and policy issues raised, undertaking research thoroughly and accurately, and drafting correspondence which reflects the Member's views.
- Maintain an up-to-date knowledge of relevant guidelines/legislation as appropriate in dealing with casework.
- Analyse patterns of enquiries and produce reports.
- Undertake general administrative, secretarial and other tasks.
- Liaise with relevant groups within the constituency and communicate appropriately with internal and external contacts.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and confident interacting with people at all levels.
- Able to prioritise a demanding workload to meet deadlines and an eye for detail.
- Able to deal with issues in a confidential manner.
- Able to work effectively in a small team.
- Competent use of IT including full proficiency with Microsoft Office. Experience of a casework management system would be beneficial.
- Experience of working and dealing with the general public.
- Previous experience in an MP's office is desirable as is experience with an advisory service such as the CAB.
- Awareness and understanding of current political issues.
- Sympathetic to the aims and objectives of The Independent Group
Closing Date: 7 March 2019
Closing at 16:00 and late applications will not be considered.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited for interview and the successful applicant will start as soon as possible.
Please apply by emailing your CV (maximum two pages) and a covering letter (maximum one page) to Justin.Meadows@parliament.uk with the subject line Caseworker Application.
Regrettably, it will not be possible to respond to each applicant – if you have not heard back by 17:00 on Monday 11 March 2019 you have been unsuccessful on this occasion.