Date Added: 3 April 2019
: 22 April 2019
Job Title: Caseworker (4 days)
Working For: Kate Osamor MP (Edmonton)
Salary: in accordance with IPSA guidelines
Kate Osamor MP is looking for an experienced individual to work in her busy constituency office on a part-time basis. The caseworker will be part of the constituency and parliamentary team reporting directly to the office manager.
The role centres on providing information, advice and support to constituents on a range of housing, welfare, immigration, health and other issues, helping to resolve problems through liaison with government agencies and other organisations. You will be expected along with other members of the team to provide Kate with summary information on casework, trends, outstanding issues and to provide reciprocal cover for other team members.
- Meeting with, and handling correspondence from, constituents providing advice and support on a variety of issues (e.g. housing, immigration, benefits)
- Drafting letters and emails and liaising with appropriate agencies
- Progressing own caseload, under office manager supervision, ensuring cases are dealt with in a sensitive, confidential, professional and timely manner with accurate records kept, in adherence to the principles of the Data Protection Act.
- Attending surgeries and other meetings (including training) to assist the Member in dealing with constituents’ issues.
- Maintaining an up-to-date knowledge of relevant legislation/guidelines, as appropriateProducing briefing and other summary material on constituency work for the MP
- Previous experience of handling casework, either in an MP’s office, the civil service, or a third sector organisation
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Confidence in interacting with people at all levels and in a variety of circumstances.
- Ability to prioritise a demanding workload to meet deadlines
- Ability to deal with issues in a confidential manner
- Ability to work effectively in a small team
- Competent use of IT, including full proficiency in microsoft office, outlook and the internet
- Experience of a casework management system or similar database.
- Experience of working and dealing with the general public.
- Awareness and understanding of current political issues.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 22 April 2019
Interviews will be held on week beginning 29 April 2019. Start date would be as soon as possible.
Email CV and covering letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please use ‘Constituency Caseworker Job Application’ in the subject heading.