Date Added: 4 April 2019
: 18 April 2019
Job Title: Caseworker
Working For: Rosie Duffield MP (Canterbury)
Location: Canterbury, Kent
Salary: Salary in accordance with IPSA guidelines
Rosie Duffield MP is looking for an experienced individual to work in her busy constituency
office on a one year fixed-term contract. The caseworker will be part of the constituency team reporting directly to the office manager.
The role centres on providing information, advice and support to constituents on a range of welfare, immigration, health and other issues, helping to resolve problems through liaison with government agencies and other organisations.
You will be expected along with other members of the team to provide Rosie with summary information on case work, trends, outstanding issues.
• Meeting with, and handling correspondence from, constituents providing advice and support on a variety of issues (e.g., immigration, benefits)
• Drafting letters and emails and liaising with appropriate agencies
• Progressing own caseload, under office manager supervision, ensuring cases are dealt with in a sensitive, confidential, professional and timely manner with accurate records kept, in adherence to the principles of the Data Protection Act.
• Attending surgeries and other meetings (including training) to assist the Member in dealing with constituents’ issues.
• Maintaining an up-to-date knowledge of relevant legislation/guidelines, as appropriate
• Producing briefing and other summary material on constituency work for the MP
• Previous experience of handling casework, either in an MP’s office, the civil service, or a third sector organisation
• Sympathetic to the values and aims of the Labour Party
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Confidence in interacting with people at all levels and in a variety of circumstances.
• Ability to prioritise a demanding workload to meet deadlines
• Ability to deal with issues in a confidential manner
• Ability to work effectively in a small team
• Competent use of IT, including full proficiency in Microsoft Office, Outlook and the internet
• Experience of a casework management system or similar database.
• Experience of working and dealing with the general public.
• Awareness and understanding of current political issues.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 18 April 2019
Interview Dates: Week commencing 22nd April 2019
Start Date: Ideally the 20th May 2019 to allow for staff handover, TBD with the successful candidate
Email your application as a one-page cover letter and CV of no more than two pages to: firstname.lastname@example.org by midday on the closing date.
Please use ‘Constituency Caseworker Job Application’ as the subject heading.