Date Added: 5 April 2019
: 25 April 2019
Job Title: Principal Public Affairs Officer / Principal Policy Officer
Working For: London Borough of Newham
Salary: Both roles pay £43,734-£46,578 per annum
In May 2018, a new Mayor of Newham was elected. The new administration has a bold vision for the borough, with a focus on putting people at the heart of everything we do. The Mayor has articulated new priorities and ambitions, with a particular emphasis on: affordable housing delivery; youth safety; increasing openness, transparency and democratic participation; and adopting a community wealth building approach promote local economic growth more widely and share the benefits of that growth more widely. The Policy team are the principal advisers to the Mayor, Cabinet and CMT in achieving those ambitions.
Principal Public Affairs Officer
This post in the Policy and Public Affairs team provides the corporate policy and public affairs function for the Council and in particular:
- provides strategic advice on key policy and public affairs issues to the Mayor, members and officers;
- supports the articulation of the borough’s vision and principles;
- understands the public policy context, spotting new opportunities and working to ensure that the authority’s policy framework is responsive;
- ensures that policies are articulated in a manner which is accessible to internal and external audiences and which clearly relates to our evidence base, operational policies and service delivery;
- delivers a parliamentary and public affairs programme;
- lobbies to deliver national and regional policy outcomes and funding for Newham; and
- maintains and strengthens Newham’s contacts and reputation with parliamentarians, ministers, the Mayor of London and other decision makers.
Principal Policy Officer
This post leads policy coordination for the Mayor’s Office and the Corporate Management Team, and working closely with the Head of the Mayor’s Office.
This post holder is responsible for supporting the Mayoral priority policies and is the chief speech writer, coordinating speechwriting input for the Mayor, Deputy Mayor and CMT. The post includes some supervision responsibilities.
The post holder supports the articulation of the borough’s vision and principles, understanding the public policy context, spotting new opportunities and working to ensure that the authority’s policy framework is responsive.
Closing Date: 25 April 2019
Interview will be held in early May 2019
For details of how to apply and to read the job descriptions for both posts please follow this link to Newham's recruitment portal.