Date Added: 12 April 2019
: 8 May 2019
Job Title: Media Relations Manager
Working For: The Russell Group of Universities
The Russell Group, which represents 24 leading universities in the UK, is currently seeking a Media Relations Manager on a 12-month fixed-term contract basis to strengthen their Communications team.
This is a high responsibility role in a busy Westminster office. The successful candidate will:
• Support the Director of Communications in developing the Russell Group’s media relations to help deliver the Chief Executive’s overarching strategy.
• Provide counsel to the Chief Executive and senior team on all aspects of media work.
• Generate and execute proactive news stories and draft reactive lines.
• Conduct media briefings and prepare the Chief Executive and other colleagues for media appearances and interviews.
• Draft written interventions including OpEds, blogs, briefing notes for press, tweets etc. Comment on other written materials, including policy documents.
• Work with member institutions and other stakeholders to coordinate media activity.
• Take on out-of-hours duties where necessary to respond to media enquiries and emerging stories.
• Attend relevant events to represent the Russell Group.
• Participate fully in an integrated comms team which covers external relations, events and media, including social media.
We are looking for a motivated and confident individual to fill this role. The successful candidate will:
• have strong press office experience
• be able to communicate complex policy work in a way which is media-friendly
• have experience in developing excellent relationships with journalists
• be able to work under pressure when necessary, thinking strategically while getting stuck in to the day-to-day
Experience in UK politics, policy development and advocacy may be an advantage, but candidates will not be expected to necessarily have a Higher Education background.
This appointment is on a 12-month fixed-term contract/secondment (maternity cover) and will be based in London. We welcome applications from people whatever their race, gender, disability, sexual orientation, religion and belief, or age.
We offer a competitive salary based on skills and experience and other benefits including a generous holiday entitlement and access to subsidised canteen and gymnasium facilities.
A full Vacancy Description is available from: http://russellgroup.ac.uk/about/vacancies
Closing Date: 8 May 2019
The deadline for applications is 5pm on the closing date.
We anticipate that first interviews will be carried out in week commencing 13th May 2019; second interviews for selected candidates will be held in week commencing 20th May 2019.
Please submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org by the closing date:
1) An up-to-date curriculum vitae including:
a. details of your current and past employment including your current salary
b. two references: your current or most recent employer; and a former line manager who could be contacted during the process
2) A one-page cover letter addressing the following points:
a. how your knowledge, skills and experience meet the requirements of the role
b. why you are interested in working for the Russell Group
For a confidential discussion, please contact Zena Creed on 020 3816 1300.