Date Added: 25 April 2019
: 22 May 2019
Job Title: Government Relations Manager
Working For: Tesco
Location: Welwyn Garden City
About the role
This is an exciting role for a dynamic, motivated individual to be an integral part of Tesco's government relations team and engage effectively on political developments and policy formulation, with a particular focus on Westminster and Whitehall.
The post holder will be expected to help shape and deliver Tesco's engagement with government, trade bodies, politicians and policy makers. They will identify opportunities and risks to the business and respond to these appropriately by planning and implementing effective influencing strategies.
You will be responsible for
- Develop and maintain an expertise in a number of policy areas, including agriculture and packaging.
- Draft senior level speeches, briefings, presentations, and external communications.
- Draft engagement materials, including consultation responses and policy positions.
- Engage with trade bodies such as the CBI and BCRC and CBI.
- Represent Tesco at meetings with parliamentarians, policy makers and other relevant stakeholders.
- Identify and deliver proactive influencing opportunities, working with internal and external stakeholders, to showcase the business positively and support integrated campaigns.
You will need
- Detailed understanding of British politics and policy making processes.
- An interest in Tesco and the retail sector.
- Excellent influencing and communication skills.
- Initiative, drive, and excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to understand complex issues quickly.
- Ability to multi-task and juggle competing priorities.
- Working knowledge of Office IT systems - Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook.
- Demonstrable experience of working closely with political stakeholders including MPs and civil servants.
- Evidence of delivering and implementing policy and influencing strategies.
- 6-8 years relevant experience
- Policy development and stakeholder engagement
- The breadth of Tesco's business means the government relations function covers a wide range of policy areas, so it is a varied, fast-paced and fascinating role for the right candidate.
- Candidates will need to be able to grasp the detail of policy quickly, juggle a variety of competing demands, and exercise careful and considered judgement on complex issues.
- The successful candidate will be expected to take responsibility early and engage with senior stakeholders inside and outside of the business.
Closing Date: 22 May 2019
We are looking for someone to start asap and may finalise recruitment before the closing date should we find the right person.
Please submit your CV via our careers site here: https://www.tesco-careers.com/jobdetails/396210/