Date Added: 10 May 2019
: 22 May 2019
Job Title: Senior Communications Assistant
Working For: UNHCR, The UN Refugee Agency
Salary: LICA 5, UNOPS Individual Contractor Agreement
UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, seeks a savvy assistant to work in its external relations team in London. We are looking for someone with digital experience to help with a range of functions from media relations to social media posting, events and campaign support to promote the organisation’s aims and reach key audiences. This is a full-time assignment (potentially renewable) based in London.
The successful candidate will have several years of experience working in broad communications functions for an international organisation or company, ideally including coverage of humanitarian issues; strong editing, writing and/or photo/video skills; experience publishing with a content management system; a social media background that shows an awareness of how people consume and share content; strong diplomatic skills and judgment; and a commitment to humanitarian principles.
They will focus primarily on the UK market, reporting to the Head of External Relations (UK), while working closely to support colleagues in UNHCR’s headquarters (Geneva), primarily the Head of Events and Campaigns, as well as regional social media managers, and photo, video and text editors.
The successful candidate will be required to:
- Manage UNHCR UK social accounts and liaise and coordinate with UNHCR Geneva to provide UK input into UNHCR global social media accounts.
- Monitor social media performance by the UK office and report findings monthly.
- Support on creating web stories and social media posts.
- Manage the office’s media databases; help draft and disseminate external material including press releases, policy papers, opinion pieces.
- Support on organizing, managing and delivering UNHCR UK external events.
- Help create structures for better refugee and youth inclusion in the external relations of UNHCR.
- Act as main UK focal point for the Global Events and Campaigns Section and develop local events and outreach to support the global messaging and engagement strategy.
Minimum Qualifications and Proffessional Experience Required
- Academic: Undergraduate degree in Communications, International Relations or a related field is an asset.
- Work experience: 5 years of relevant work experience in an international environment, ideally including coverage of humanitarian issues.
Closing Date: 22 May 2019
Duty Station - London, UK.
Interviews - Will be arranged for shortlisted candidates shortly after the closing date for applications.
Start Date - June/July 2019.
Contract Type - UNOPS Individual Contractor Agreement.
Contract Length - Initially until 31 December 2019, Renewable.
Send applications to: email@example.com
- Attach a cover letter telling us why this work appeals to you and why you’re a good fit.
- Attach your CV and include clips or links to some of your best work.
- Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the UK at the time of application, recruitment and hire.
The deadline for applications is Midnight GMT on the closing date.