Date Added: 5 June 2019
: 28 June 2019
Job Title: Parliamentary Assistant (12-month contract)
Working For: Catherine West MP (Hornsey and Wood Green)
Catherine West MP is seeking a motivated, reliable and hard-working individual with strong communication skills as her Parliamentary Assistant on a 12-month contract from September 2019.
Catherine’s team is small and it’s a very busy office so the successful candidate will need to have excellent organisational and time-management skills and the ability to work independently and as part of a team.
We’re looking for someone pro-active with:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including experience of writing speeches, articles and liaising with the media.
- Good political judgement with the ability to analyse reports and provide succinct briefing notes ensuring key issues are identified.
- Strong IT and social media skills.
- Parliamentary experience together with an extensive knowledge of Parliamentary processes.
- A strong knowledge of current political issues at local, national and international level. Interest in foreign affairs would be desirable.
- A commitment to the aims and values of the Labour Party together with an awareness and understanding of the constituency of Hornsey & Wood Green.
- Experience of line managing staff is desirable.
The job will be varied and the successful candidate must be willing to undertake a variety of tasks, but the role will primarily include:
- Liaising pro-actively and re-actively with local and national media.
- Drafting briefings, oral and written questions for the Member and motions to be put to the House.
- Monitoring bills, Early Day Motions, legislation, Hansard, debates and ensuring the Member is fully briefed on relevant issues.
- Helping to publicise the Member’s duties on social media and on her website and following up on social media queries and comments as required
- Managing the policy queries that the Member receives by email, mail and at advice surgeries and responding effectively and courteously to constituents.
- Drafting written representations to Ministers, local authorities and other organisations as appropriate.
- Line managing temporary staff.
- Retaining records and information confidentially and in line with the Data Protection Act.
Please note, this is a one-year fixed term contract. The post is full-time, but job share applications would be welcome.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 28 June 2019
Interview date: Monday 15 July. Please note the interview will also include a written test and a short presentation so please allow up to 90 minutes.
Start date: Monday 2 September 2019
To apply, please write a covering letter outlining the reasons why you believe you are suitable for the position together with a CV of no more than two sides of A4 to Anna Gorrell at email@example.com.
Please include details of two references, including your current or most recent employer.
Due to the high volume of applications expected, only those invited to interview will be contacted.