Date Added: 5 June 2019
: 28 June 2019
Job Title: Senior Parliamentary Assistant
Working For: Paul Blomfield MP (Sheffield Central)
Salary: In line with IPSA pay scales
Paul Blomfield, MP for Sheffield Central and Shadow Minister for Exiting the European Union, is seeking a full time Senior Parliamentary Assistant in his busy Westminster Office to support him in his parliamentary and shadow ministerial work and to undertake a supervisory role. As a senior position, this would ideally suit a candidate with work experience in a similar field.
This is a permanent position subject to satisfactory completion of a six-month probationary period.
- Analyse, evaluate and interpret data to ensure Member is accurately informed on key issues
- Develop and maintain current knowledge of bills, Early Day Motions, legislation, Hansard, debates etc
- Ensure the Member is fully briefed on potential questions and motions to be put to the
- Give advice on policy issues
- Monitor media coverage and brief the Member on relevant issues
- Prepare and present briefing notes for committees, press releases, parliamentary questions etc.
- Progress casework as required
- Project Work
- Provide generalist admin support
- Oversee and respond to policy correspondence and enquiries
- Undertake research, usually from readily available sources, on straightforward subjects
- A working knowledge of parliament and current affairs with good political judgement. Parliamentary experience is desirable but not essential.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal along with strong research and analytical skills with an emphasis on accuracy and attention to detail
- Able to work effectively as part of a wider team as well as the ability to work independently without supervision
- Strong organisational and administrative skills with the ability to prioritise and work to tight deadlines under pressure
- Key IT skills including use of the Microsoft Office suite and knowledge of social media and basic website knowledge
- Demonstrable commitment to Labour Party values
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 28 June 2019
Interviews will take place on Thursday 4th July in Westminster.
Start date mid/end of August to be negotiated.
A covering letter outlining the reasons why you believe you are suitable for the position along with a CV of no more than two sides of A4 should be sent to email@example.com with the subject line – ‘First Name, Surname – Senior Parliamentary Assistant Vacancy’.
6th June 2019 - Futher details have been added to the job description.