Date Added: 19 June 2019
: 17 July 2019
Job Title: Case Worker/Parliamentary Assistant
Working For: Mrs Janet Daby MP (Lewisham East)
Janet Daby MP for Lewisham East is looking for a full time Case Worker/Parliamentary Assistant to join her small but vibrant and energetic team. This would ideally suit a graduate who takes a deeper interest in politics and current affairs. The successful candidate will be based in both Westminster and constituency offices. It is an excellent opportunity to gain the all-round experience of parliamentary office.
- Analyse patterns of enquiries and produce reports
- Attending surgeries and other meetings as appropriate
- Dealing with standard queries from members of the public
- Draft responses to constituents
- Follow up on social media queries and comments
- Log all cases; monitor progress and ensure all identified actions are taken
- Retain records and information confidentially and in line with the Data Protection Act
- Develop and maintain current knowledge of bills, Early Day Motions, legislation, hansard, debates etc
- Ensure the member is fully briefed on potential questions and motions to be put to the house
- Prepare and present briefing notes for committees, press releases, parliamentary questions, speeches (as required) etc
- Progress casework as required
- Project and events work
- Provide generalist admin support
- Respond to routine correspondence and enquiries
- Undertake research, usually from readily available sources, on straightforward subjects
- Knowledge of parliament and current affairs with good political judgement. Parliamentary experience is desirable but not essential
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal along with strong research and analytical skills with an emphasis on accuracy and attention to detail
- Able to work effectively as part of a wider team as well as the ability to work independently with limited supervision
- Strong organisational and administrative skills with the ability to prioritise and work to tight deadlines under pressure
- Educated to degree level
- Demonstrable commitment to Labour Party values
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 17 July 2019
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted due to a very heavy response to this job offer.
Interviews will take place on Monday 22 July in Westminster. Deadline for applications - 5pm on the closing date.
Start date is at the end of August/beginning of September - to be negotiated. This is a contract position subject to satisfactory completion of a six-week probationary period.
A covering letter outlining the reasons why you believe you are suitable for the position (no more than 500 words) along with a CV of no more than two sides of A4 should be sent to email@example.com with the subject line – ‘First Name, Surname – Case Worker/ Parliamentary Assistant Vacancy’.
20th June 2019 - The salary has been updated.
12th July 2019 - The interview/start dates field has been updated: please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.