Date Added: 25 June 2019
: 17 July 2019
Job Title: Senior Parliamentary Assistant
Working For: Seema Malhotra MP (Feltham and Heston)
Salary: £33,000-£50,540 according to experience
Duties and responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Manage the office team, ensuring accurate personnel records, administration, training records and office policies are kept up to date.
- Oversee diary management for a very busy schedule in parliament and constituency.
- Analyse, evaluate and interpret data to ensure Member is accurately informed on key issues.
- Develop and maintain current knowledge of bills, Early Day Motions, legislation, Hansard, debates etc.
- Give advice on policy and legislative issues.
- Senior media officer support including monitoring media coverage and briefing the Member on relevant issues.
- Respond to routine correspondence and enquiries from constituents, the media, lobbyists and pressure groups.
- Project management.
- Prepare and present results for the purposes of briefing notes for committees, parliamentary questions, articles and press releases.
- Undertake research on complex and/or difficult subjects.
The sucessful candidate will demonstrate:
- A good working knowledge of legislation, Parliament and current affairs with good political judgement.
- Experience of working in Parliament or in a legal / political environment.
- Ability to lead a team, show initiative and work independently without supervision.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal along with strong research and analytical skills with an emphasis on accuracy and attention to detail.
- Knowledge of the effectiveness of social media and other online media.
- Strong organisational and administrative skills with the ability to prioritise and work to tight deadlines under pressure.
- Key IT skills including use of the Microsoft Office suite and a minimum typing speed of 40 wpm.
- Demonstrable commitment to Labour Party values.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 17 July 2019
Interviews will take place between the 24th and 26th of July. It would be helpful if you could state your availability in your covering letter.
We are looking for somebody to start as soon as possible.
To apply, please send your CV and a covering letter up to a maximum of two sides of A4, setting out why you believe you are suitable for the role. Additionally, please send an article of between 300 and 500 words that you have written. Applications should be sent to email@example.com, stating Application for Senior Parliamentary Assistant in the subject line.