Date Added: 27 June 2019
: 31 July 2019
Job Title: Parliamentary Assistant
Working For: Marsha de Cordova MP (Battersea)
Salary: In line with IPSA pay scales
Marsha de Cordova MP is seeking to appoint a new Parliamentary Assistant to support her in her role as the MP for Battersea and Shadow Minister for Disabled People.
The position would suit a flexible, proactive and hard-working individual who can act on their own initiative.
The successful applicant will be a self-starter, highly organised with excellent communication skills. A good understanding of how parliament works is desirable.
- Develop and maintain good knowledge of legislation, bills, debates, APPG’s etc.
- Monitor relevant Parliamentary activity: legislation, motions, debates and questions.
- Evaluate, Analyse and interpret data to ensure the Member is accurately informed on key issues.
- Advise on policy issues and prepare briefings for meetings, committees, debates etc.
- Draft written and oral questions, press releases, quotes articles as appropriate.
- Respond to correspondence and enquiries from constituents, the media, lobbyists and pressure groups.
- Monitor media and update online media platforms including the Members website and social media channels.
- Develop and maintain knowledge in specialist areas as required by Member.
- Diary Management.
- Good knowledge and understanding of parliamentary business and processes.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent organisation skills, good attention to detail and able to plan organise and prioritise workload and work towards tight deadlines.
- Excellent ICT skills, including MS Office and online social media platforms.
- Ability to work proactively and independently as well as part of a team.
- Sympathetic to the aims and values of the Labour Party.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 31 July 2019
Interviews: week commencing 12th August
To apply for this position, please email your CV and covering letter (max 2 sides) to Syreeta de Cordova at Syreeta.email@example.com