Date Added: 5 July 2019
: 21 July 2019
Job Title: Communications Officer
Working For: Lisa Forbes MP (Peterborough)
Salary: In line with IPSA pay scales
Location: Flexible – can be based in either Peterborough or Westminster but travel will be required between the two offices in any case
Job Details: Lisa Forbes, MP for Peterborough, is looking for a full-time Communications Officer to support her parliamentary work.
- Analyse, evaluate and interpret data to ensure the Member is accurately informed on key issues and is aware of trends in Peterborough and nationally where appropriate.
- Ensure records are kept and information managed confidentially and in line with the Data Protection Act
- Establish a social media presence in the constituency and publicise surgeries, parliamentary interventions, MP activity, etc.
- Follow up on and moderate social media queries and comments
- Manage the MP’s website content
- Monitor media coverage
- Liaise with media
- Prepare press releases as required (on constituency, non-party political matters)
- Proactive and reactive communications with all media
- Provide briefings for the MP as required
- Respond to routine correspondence and enquiries from constituents, the media, lobbyists and pressure groups
- Liaise with various councillors, agencies, organisations and stakeholders
- Accompany the MP to surgeries and events (may require some evening and weekend work)
- Prepare content and articles for sign off by MP
- Additional duties as requested by the MP
The following skills are required:
- Self-motivated and able to take the initiative
- Strong planning and organisational ability
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel and social media
- Ability to write press releases
- Proven record in community engagement
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Good communication skills
- Excellent time management
- Ability to work flexible hours in a fast-paced environment – including some evening and weekend work
- Sympathetic to the aims and values of the Labour Party
- Excellent understanding of the British Political System
- Excellent grasp of current affairs
The following skills are desirable but not essential:
- Experience working with a wide range of people with complex demands
- Experience working in/ for Parliament
- Knowledge of the constituency and issues relevant to the area
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 21 July 2019
Interview date: Interviews will be held shortly after the closing date
Start date: We are ideally looking for someone to start as soon as possible although this could be negotiable.
Please submit a CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with COMMUNICATIONS OFFICER JOB APPLICATION in the subject line.