Date Added: 5 July 2019
: 19 July 2019
Job Title: Parliamentary Assistant
Working For: The Rt Hon Nick Herbert CBE MP (Arundel and South Downs)
Salary: In line with IPSA pay scales (£23,750-£34,786)
An excellent opportunity has arisen for an enthusiastic, motivated, and experienced individual to become a Parliamentary Assistant for Nick Herbert MP in his Westminster office.
Key responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Researching and preparing briefing notes for debates, constituency surgeries and other meetings.
- Preparing and submitting parliamentary questions and debate applications.
- Policy correspondence and occasional casework.
- Supporting media and communications work including MP’s website and newsletter.
- Attending meetings with the MP and taking notes.
- General office support as required including inbox sorting, opening post, escorting guests and making room bookings.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Ability to carry out tasks quickly and to a high standard, with a clear and concise writing style
- First-rate research skills
- Excellent organisational skills and an ability to work under pressure and to deadlines
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- A keen interest in politics and current affairs
- A good knowledge of Parliamentary procedures with previous experience in Parliament preferred
- Candidates should be sympathetic to the aims and values of the Conservative Party.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 19 July 2019
We expect to interview for this role in the week commencing 22 July 2019.
However, as the ideal candidate will start as soon as possible, we reserve the right to appoint before the closing date.
Please send a CV and cover letter (each of no more than one side of A4) outlining why you would like to be considered for this role to Nick's Chief of Staff, Christopher N Howarth, at email@example.com.
Since sending formal correspondence is an essential part of this role, please ensure that your application documents are formatted correctly and use correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar.