Date Added: 9 July 2019
: 22 July 2019
Job Title: Senior Parliamentary Assistant
Working For: Jeremy Wright MP (Kenilworth and Southam)
Salary: In line with IPSA Pay scales
Jeremy Wright MP is recruiting a Senior Parliamentary Assistant (SPA) to join his hard-working team. The successful candidate will work closely with Jeremy’s Chief of Staff and other established team members to provide a high level of service to the constituents Jeremy serves.
The Senior Parliamentary Assistant (SPA) will lead on policy matters. Strong research skills are required, together with the ability to prepare briefings for the MP and other members of the team and assist with PRUs where required. Superior drafting skills are essential.
The SPA will hold the portfolios for planning, technology and transport (most notably HS2). The SPA will undertake casework across these portfolios and deal directly with constituents and stakeholders. Empathy and exceptional communication skills will be required. Discretion is essential. HS2 is at the heart of the role and the ideal candidate will have a genuine interest in working in this area.
The SPA will assist with drafting press articles and statements and developing social media strategy. They will also be required to assist with the claiming of expenses and diary management as directed. There will be administrative elements to the role and the SPA will need to be extremely organised with excellent attention to detail. Tasks will need to be juggled effectively and deadlines met. Common sense, sound judgment and the ability to work on their own initiative are key. We are a small team and so flexibility, a ‘can do’ attitude and a sense of humour are a must.
The SPA will be line managed by Jeremy’s Chief of Staff and will themselves supervise at least one member of the team. Previous Parliamentary experience is highly desired and we are looking for someone who can ‘hit the ground running’. Experience outside Parliament is also valued.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 22 July 2019
- The deadline for applications is 12 noon on the closing date.
- Interviews will take place in July 2019 (likely w/c Monday 22 July).
- The start date is as soon as possible, and ideally August 2019.
- Please note that we may recruit prior to the advertised closing date if a suitable candidate is identified.
- Please send a CV and covering letter addressed to Jeremy Wright MP. Applications should be sent by email to Jessica Vining (email@example.com).
- Please include when you could start work with Jeremy and whether you have current security clearance from the House of Commons in the text of the email you send us.
- Due to the large number of applications that we are likely to receive, we may not able to respond individually to all applicants or give individual feedback. We will inform those candidates who are selected to progress to interview stage on or before Wednesday 24 July.
- For further information please contact Jessica Vining on 01926 853650.
11th July 2019 - The Application Instructions have been updated.
17th July 2019 - The deadline has been extended from 18 Jul 2019 to 22 Jul 2019. The interview details have changed accordingly.