Date Added: 9 July 2019
: 31 July 2019
Job Title: Policy and Public Affairs Manager
Working For: Society for Applied Microbiology
To lead the Society’s science Policy and Public Affairs engagement programme, devising overall strategy and operational approaches. This includes leading on proactive and responsive external policy engagements, as well as supporting Society members to boost their impact.
The Policy and Public Affairs manager will act as a central point of contact for all policy enquiries and activities, and lead the Society’s overall policy engagement by meeting responsibilities that include, but are not limited to:
- Developing the Society’s policy strategy as directed by the Chief Executive and in collaboration with the Chair of the Policy Subcommittee.
- Ensuring that SfAM’s Executive Committee, Policy Subcommittee and other subcommittees and ad hoc working groups are sufficiently advised on key areas of policy that are relevant to their functions and activities.
- Functioning as secretariat for the Society’s Policy Subcommittee, coordinating the preparation of relevant meeting materials and minutes.
- Effective monitoring of the science policy landscape to ensure that the Society is prepared to influence and engage with policymakers across the UK (and EU as appropriate) and is able to take advantage of opportunities as they arise.
- Ensuring that responses to policy consultations are prepared to a high standard, containing evidence-based solutions and recommendations, through research and liaison with the Policy Subcommittee, Executive Committee, Society Members and other stakeholders.
- Effective management of a variety of projects in parallel, ensuring the delivery of high quality, timely objectives, including (where appropriate)
- Organisation of meetings, workshops and roundtables for a diverse range of stakeholders
- Joint working with partner organisations and other relevant stakeholders
- Development of effective briefings and presentations
- Effective and concise communication of evidence-based recommendations to a range of different audiences and policy stakeholders
- Ensuring that all SfAM audiences are kept up to date with relevant policy developments, including contributions to the Society’s e-bulletin, website, membership publication and social media platforms.
Closing Date: 31 July 2019
Interviews will be held on 12 August 2019 in the Society’s office in London.
Please apply by sending an email with the subject ‘SfAM Policy and Public Affairs Manager’ to HR@sfam.org.uk before 17.00 on the closing date, with the following documents attached:
- a CV (2 sides of A4 maximum)
- a covering letter explaining your interest and suitability to the role
Please contact Chief Executive, Dr Lucy Harper with any particular queries relating to the role.
Assessment of applications is a two stage process: there will be an assessment of the written application and applicants successful at this stage will be invited to interview.