Date Added: 10 July 2019
: 16 July 2019
Job Title: Senior Parliamentary Assistant and Office Manager
Working For: Rt Hon Tobias Ellwood MP (Bournemouth East)
Salary: In line with IPSA Pay scales
- Overall oversight and management of the Westminster and constituency office teams
- Ensure accurate office and personnel records are kept up to date and that information is managed confidentially and in line with the Data Protection Act
- Liaise with IPSA and ensure they are notified of any contractual changes as necessary
- Responsibility for managing all aspects of the budget and expenses.
- Overall management of the MP’s diary, delegating tasks to others as appropriate
- Liaison with Ministerial team
- Support the MP’s work in the constituency
- Develop and maintain knowledge of bills, EDMs, debates, etc.
- Research local, regional and national issues
- Respond to routine correspondence and enquiries from constituents, the media, etc as required
- Full media management
- Progress casework as required
- Deal with complex queries and complaints on the MP’s behalf
- Liaise with groups at Westminster, within the constituency and the general public on the MP’s behalf as necessary
- General administrative tasks including ensuring the office is fully equipped
- Accompanying the MP to visits, meetings and surgeries as required
- Additional duties as requested by the MP
The following skills are required:
- Experience working in Westminster at least Senior Parliamentary Level
- Self-motivated and able to take the initiative
- Strong planning and organisational ability
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel and social media
- Proven record in community engagement
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Excellent time management
- Ability to work flexible hours – including some evening and weekend work
- Sympathetic to the aims and values of the Conservative Party
- Excellent understanding of the British Political System
- Excellent grasp of current affairs
The following skills are desirable but not essential:
- Experience of casework systems and management
- Experience managing budgets
- Experience working with a wide range of people with complex demands
- Knowledge of the constituency and issues relevant to the area
- An understanding of Video Editing Software
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 16 July 2019
The start date is as soon as possible.
Please note that we may recruit prior to the advertised closing date if a suitable candidate is identified.
Please send a CV and covering letter addressed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include the job title and your full name in the subject line, and include how soon you could start in the text of the email, as well as if you are already security cleared.
Due to the large number of applications that we are likely to receive, we may not able to respond individually to all applicants or give individual feedback.