Date Added: 16 July 2019
: 14 August 2019
Job Title: Parliamentary Assistant (Parliament)
Working For: Mike Amesbury MP (Weaver Vale)
Location: London but may consider a constituency-based application
Salary: In line with IPSA pay scales
Mike Amesbury, MP for Weaver Vale is looking for a full time Parliamentary Assistant to join his team. The Parliamentary Assistant will provide an excellent service to support Mike’s Parliamentary work and will have experience within a policy or research role. Excellent written English skills, good organisation skills and a commitment to outstanding service. This position may involve some evening and weekend work.
Expectations of the ideal candidate
- Supporting Mike in his Parliamentary business including monitoring Bills, Parliamentary Questions, debates etc. and maintaining an up-to-date knowledge of relevant legislation
- Speech writing, research and analysis to prepare briefing notes and articles
- Managing national media enquiries, monitoring media coverage and briefing Mike on relevant issues
- Working with the communications officer to publicise Mike’s communications on social media and managing the website.
- Undertaking administrative and communication tasks in the Westminster office and liaising with the constituency office
- Providing organisational support for events, both in Westminster and the constituency
- Responding professionally to routine correspondence and enquiries, both over the telephone and by email
- Other duties which may be assigned on an ad-hoc basis
The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate:
- Experience of working in Parliament in a similar role.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Passion and commitment to the subject areas
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Sound research and analytical skills with keen attention to detail
- The ability to prioritise a demanding workload, meet deadlines and work under pressure
- Ability to show initiative in working independently, but be a vital member of a close-knit team
- Good level of proficiency in IT, particularly MS Office
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 14 August 2019
Interview: 22 August 2019
Start Date: 21 October 2019
Please email your CV and one page covering letter setting out why you want to do this job and how your skills are relevant to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading ‘Parliamentary Assistant’