Date Added: 26 July 2019
: 30 August 2019
Job Title: Press Manager
Working For: The Green Party
Salary: £34,236-£42,568 (points 24 – 36 of the GPEW pay scale)
The Green Wave is sweeping across Europe, responding to the great political challenges of our age. As Press Manager, you’d be at the heart of this political change, helping shape & direct the implementation of the press strategy of the GP as agreed by Green Party Executive (GPEx). You will promote a positive image of the Party and its key public figures in line with these strategies, as well as help achieve favourable coverage in media under the direction of the Head of Comms. You will thrive in fast-paced environments, be flexible, quick-thinking, decisive, & have good political antennae. You will write like a dream, manage competing priorities calmly, have excellent interpersonal & communications skills, & be able to explain just why our representative would be the perfect person for this television slot or radio show, all while being intrinsically motivated by environmental and social justice.
- Achieve positive media coverage for the GP in a wide range of outlets and sources.
- Manage & develop relationships with key broadcast & print outlets particularly pitching GP representatives to national political shows.
- Write briefings for Party figures in preparation for media interviews and verbally briefing them ahead of media appearances.
- Oversee and prepare responses to daily news via comment, press releases & pitches.
- Oversee, maintain and update press contact lists for the Press Office database.
- Oversee, prepare and pitch comment pieces and blogs from GP spokespeople & elected representatives.
- Contribute to speeches and other content for press purposes.
- Draft and issue high quality press releases to tight deadlines.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of communications strategies.
- Act as out-of-hours press office telephone contact on rota.
Essential Experience and Skills
- At least four years’ experience as a press officer or journalist with progressively increasing responsibilities.
- Excellent writing/editing skills, & ability to quickly understand & explain issues verbally.
- Great interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge of major media outlets & their requirements.
- Knowledge of & sympathy with the aims and objectives of the GP.
- Must not be a member of another political party that is in competition with the GP.
Closing Date: 30 August 2019
Interviews likely to be held at a later date, most likely the week commencing 9th of September 2019.
Applications to be submitted no later than the closing date. Please email your completed application form and equal opportunities monitoring form (found on www.greenparty.org.uk/jobs) to email@example.com within the allocated time frame.