Date Added: 29 July 2019
: 18 August 2019
Job Title: Parliamentary Assistant (Maternity Cover, 6 Months)
Working For: Dr Sarah Wollaston MP (Totnes)
Location: Totnes, occasionally Westminster
Salary: In line with IPSA salary guidelines
Dr Sarah Wollaston MP for Totnes is seeking to recruit a Parliamentary Assistant on a fixed six month contract for maternity cover purposes from the start of October 2019 until the end of March 2020.
Ideally, the successful candidate will take on the following responsibilities:
- Handle correspondence from constituents, drafting responses and providing advice and support to constituents on a variety of issues through liaison with Government agencies, the voluntary sector and others.
- Manage own caseload and progress of casework, ensuring all cases are dealt with in a sensitive, confidential and timely manner and accurate records are kept in adherence to the principles of the Data Protection Act and GDPR.
- Attend surgeries in Totnes and other meetings to assist the Member in dealing with constituents’ issues. Helping to deal with the Member’s diary.
- Research and draft responses or respond to constituents on any issues raised on behalf of the Member, including researching policy and responding to campaigns.
- Maintain an up-to-date knowledge of relevant legislation/guidelines as appropriate in dealing with casework.
- Liaise with relevant groups within the constituency and communicate appropriately with internal and external contacts, alongside drafting newsletters.
- Dealing with local media enquiries, drafting press releases and articles.
- General office admin, including answering phone calls, dealing with the post, keeping the members website up to date
- Keeping the Member’s social media pages up to date.
It is intended that there will be a handover period with some training and a handbook written to assist on how to do the job. May suit a recent graduate looking to gain some experience in the political sphere.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 18 August 2019
Interviews will be held on a rolling basis but are anticipated to start at the end of August.
Please email a CV and covering letter with the subject line “Parliamentary Assistant Application” to email@example.com, setting out relevant experience and what you think you can bring to the role. All applications will be acknowledged.