Date Added: 1 August 2019
: 25 August 2019
Job Title: Justice Placement
Working For: Richard Burgon MP (Leeds East)
Salary: London Living Wage (35 hours a week)
Having successfully sued The Sun newspaper for defamation Shadow Justice Secretary Richard Burgon MP is using the damages awarded to him to fund two justice placement opportunities in his busy Westminster office. This advertisement relates to the first justice placement opportunity. A second placement will be advertised in Spring 2020, with a view to starting in October 2020.
The ideal candidate will be friendly and enthusiastic, highly organised with strong communication skills and attention to detail, able to work on their own and as part of a wider team, with a good understanding of the challenges facing communities like the constituency Richard represents and keen to develop an understanding of how politics shapes the laws that govern us.
The successful candidate will be responsible for supporting Richard in his work as Shadow Justice Secretary by:
- Researching, analysing and developing justice policy.
- Assisting on campaigns and preparing briefings.
- Assisting with Parliamentary business.
- Developing a keen understanding of the operation of our justice system.
- Working with stakeholders.
- Attending justice meetings.
- Good organizational skills with the ability to effectively prioritize tasks.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and written.
- Ability to work independently, show initiative and work well as part of a wider team, demonstrating a positive and flexible attitude.
- Proficient use of Microsoft office including Word and Outlook.
- Good knowledge of key communications software is desirable.
We value equality and diversity, and welcome applications from candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, gender identity, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.
The role may involve time working in Richard’s constituency in Leeds.
The contract is full time for a fixed term of 9 months.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 25 August 2019
Interviews will be held in September in Westminster.
The start date will be 1st October 2019.
Please send your CV and a covering letter setting out your eligibility for the role, paying particular attention to the necessary skills and responsibilities, to: email@example.com.
Please note that appointment will be dependent on satisfactory references.