Date Added: 7 August 2019
: 1 September 2019
Job Title: Constituency Communications Officer
Working For: Jenny Chapman MP (Darlington)
Salary: In line with IPSA pay scales
Jenny Chapman, Member of Parliament for Darlington, is looking for a hardworking and proactive Constituency Communications Officer to join her friendly constituency office team.
The ideal candidate will have a positive, ‘can do’ attitude, good people skills, excellent organisational and time management skills and a very keen interest in politics.
The post holder will be responsible for developing and implementing a pro-active local media and social media strategy. They will also manage community engagement activities across the constituency.
- Work within the team to plan and organise local campaigns and events
- Work on own initiative preparing press releases, media strategy and developing relationships with journalists and local people
- Monitor media coverage, liaise with media, prepare press releases as required
- Prepare media briefings
- Proactive and re-active communications with all media
- Follow up on and moderate social media queries and comments
- Other ad hoc duties as required
Skills required include:
- Strong planning and organisational ability; self-motivated and able to take the initiative
- Proficiency in the use of social media, ability to write press releases
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and good interpersonal skills
- Excellent time management
- Sound judgement and a good understanding of what it means to work in a political environment and good understanding of UK parliamentary procedure
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work as part of the team
- Able to work with diplomacy, discretion and confidentiality
- Ability to work flexible hours in a fast-paced environment – including some evening and weekend work
- Sympathetic to the aims and values of the Labour party
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 1 September 2019
Interviews will be conducted on Friday 6th September in Darlington.
A short-written task will be required to be undertaken by those who make the shortlist.
Start date – To be discussed at interview.
Please send a short covering letter and CV to Sam Howarth - firstname.lastname@example.org.
For further information contact 01325 382345.