Date Added: 13 August 2019
: 13 September 2019
Job Title: Chief of Staff (Maternity Cover - Fixed Term 1 Year)
Working For: James Duddridge MP (Rochford and Southend East)
Salary: Within IPSA guidelines
James Duddridge MP is looking to recruit a dynamic, reliable Chief of Staff to cover a period of maternity leave in his office. This is a fixed-term position for one year.
The successful applicant will be responsible for managing a small team and running offices in both London and the constituency. The role is based in Southend.
The role will include coordinating the team's busy workload and overseeing team contracts, leave and training.
- Managing James Duddridge’s parliamentary inbox
- Responding to telephone and email enquiries
- Diary management and arranging parliamentary and constituency commitments
- Providing research to accompany James to meetings and events
- Occasionally accompanying James to events and on constituency visits as well as attending meetings on his behalf
- Being the main point of contact for all stakeholders
- Monitoring the budgets, actioning all MP’s expenses with IPSA and ordering office equipment and stationery
- Managing interns and work experience
- Recruiting and onboarding new staff
- Managing the HR in the office, in terms of staff wellbeing, hiring and ending of staff contracts
- Keeping up-to-date with House business and whipping
- Advising James Duddridge on debates, speeches and timings
- Analysing, evaluating and interpreting data to ensure James is accurately informed on key issues
- Arranging tickets for debates and tour requests
The role demands a dedicated team player who can lead, manage and inspire with excellent communication skills and a relentlessly positive outlook whatever the political weather. The ability to be flexible and to take on a myriad tasks is essential given the size of the team.
The following skills will be essential:
- Excellent organisational skills and attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills, written and oral
- Evidenced ability to prioritise different projects and work to tight deadlines
- Being IPSA literate and having worked for an MP or Peer before.
The following skills are desirable:
- Evidenced experience of managing a small team.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 13 September 2019
The deadline for receipt of applications is 9am on the closing date.
Interviews will commence from w/c 23rd September
Please send a one-page cover letter and full CV to Pindie Kuzvinzwa: firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line:COS Maternity Cover
Candidates who need to serve out a long notice period in their current job would only be considered in exceptional circumstances.
Interested candidates are advised to apply as soon as possible as the application will be closed should we find the right candidate before the closing date.
Please note given the high volume of applications only short-listed candidates will be contacted.