Date Added: 2 September 2019
: 13 September 2019
Job Title: Parliamentary Assistant
Working For: Peter Chapman MSP (North East Scotland)
Peter Chapman MSP for the North East Scotland Region is looking for a Parliamentary Assistant to join his team. The role will be primarily based in the Scottish Parliament with the occasional travel required to the North East Scotland region to support him with his duties in the constituency.
Peter Chapman MSP is the Scottish Conservatives’ fishing spokesperson, and sits on the Rural Economy and Connectivity Committee.
The ideal candidate will have a positive attitude, good people skills, excellent organisational and time management skills and a strong attention to detail. The candidate should be willing to work closely with the local office team and other MSPs and their staff.
Knowledge of the Scottish Parliament and parliamentary procedure is advantageous but not essential.
- Liaise with other MSPs and staff in regards to Parliamentary activities
- Deal with daily queries from MSPs and their staff, taking the appropriate initial action to resolve and document their queries and issues
- Arrange regional advice surgeries, visits, events and other meetings in the North East Scotland Region on behalf of the MSP
- Assist with communications, press and social media;
- Complete general administration tasks on behalf of MSP
- Organise MSP’s Parliamentary diary
- Researching and drafting responses to constituent and lobbying correspondence
- Communicate effectively with internal and external stakeholders
- Lead on projects and develop and manage campaigns on important national and local issues
- Lead on the development of annual reports, newsletters and leaflets
- Support the office management function and manage the office on non-business days (Monday and Friday)
- Monitor coverage in the media, and liaise with the media where appropriate
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to work under pressure and prioritise a demanding workload to meet deadlines
- Strong interpersonal skills and excellent team working ethic
- Discretion at all times recognising the confidential nature of work
- Excellent communication and administrative skills
- Will have a competent knowledge of standard office practices and IT packages
- Awareness of national political issues.
- Experience of using social media as a communication tool.
Closing Date: 13 September 2019
Interviews expected to take place between 16th and 20th September.
Start Date will be as soon as possible.
Apply with a CV and a covering letter of no more than 2 pages, the covering letter should outline why you feel you are right for this job. Please submit your applications by email to email@example.com. Applicants can call 0131 348 6150 for more information.
2nd September 2019 - The contact number for additional role information has been updated.