Date Added: 18 September 2019
: 13 October 2019
Job Title: Caseworker
Working For: Sarah Jones MP (Croydon Central)
Salary: in line with experience
Sarah Jones MP is looking for a full-time Caseworker to join her team in Croydon Central. This a perfect opportunity for someone with excellent casework, administrative and IT skills who works well in a small team, wants to help people, has a positive attitude and would like to serve the community in Croydon Central.
The Caseworker will provide advice and support to the MP’s constituents on a range of issues, such as financial, housing, welfare, immigration and health, and help to resolve problems through liaison with government agencies, voluntary sector or other organizations.
Applicants should have a strong interest in local and national politics, and an awareness of the constituency of Croydon Central. Legal experience is not essential but would certainly help.
Occasional evening or weekend work may be required.
Responsibilities will include:
- Attend constituency surgeries and meetings.
- Manage and progress a portfolio of casework, including logging cases, taking appropriate actions promptly, monitoring progress, analysing patterns of enquiries and producing reports.
- Liaise with government agencies, council, NHS, voluntary sector and other organizations to help resolve cases.
- Gather relevant information to assist with resolving cases.
- Respond to correspondence and enquiries from constituents, including drafting letters, emails and documents.
- Retain records and information confidentially and in line with the Data Protection Act.
- Maintain, update and develop knowledge of relevant legislation and guidance.
- Administrative support for the office.
- Legal or advice experience is not essential but is very useful.
- Excellent interpersonal and oral and written communication skills, with a positive and flexible approach.
- Excellent IT skills including a casework tracking system, MS Office Applications (i.e. Word, Excel and Outlook), Internet and Intranet.
- Ability to draft letters and emails to a high professional standard.
- Ability to see trends in complex issues as well as develop knowledge in specialist areas.
- Motivated to work independently as well as the ability to work effectively as part of a small team.
- Good office administration skills.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 13 October 2019
Interviews will be in due course
Please send your CV (no more than 2 sides) and covering letter (no more than a side) setting out your eligibility for the role, paying particular attention to the necessary skills and responsibilities, to firstname.lastname@example.org with the title CASEWORKER