Date Added: 8 October 2019
: 17 October 2019
Job Title: Parliamentary Researcher/Assistant
Working For: Conor McGinn MP (St Helens North)
Salary: In line with IPSA pay scales
Length of Contract:
Conor McGinn MP is looking for a confident, self-motivated individual to work in his busy Westminster office. The ideal candidate will be well organised with very strong research, communication and administrative skills, and will sympathise with the aims and values of the Labour Party. Experience of working in Parliament or a political environment is strongly desirable.
The main responsibilities of the post include:
- Supporting Conor in his Parliamentary business, including monitoring Bills, Parliamentary Questions, debates and maintaining an up-to-date knowledge of relevant legislation
- Drafting press releases, articles, social media posts, speeches and amendments
- Briefings, research and analysis to prepare for speeches, meetings, interviews and articles
- Managing media enquiries, monitoring media coverage and briefing Conor on relevant issues
- Publicising Conor’s communications on social media and managing Conor’s websites
- Liaising with the constituency office and ensuring work in the constituency and Westminster link up where possible.
- Effectively managing Conor’s diary.
- Supporting Conor in his role as Chair of the APPG on Ireland and member of the Foreign Affairs Committee, Council of Europe, British Parliamentary Assembly and various APPG commitments.
- Providing organisational support for events in Westminster
- Responding effectively and courteously to routine correspondence and enquiries, both over the telephone and by email
- Undertaking administrative tasks in the Westminster office
- Other duties which may be assigned on an ad-hoc basis
The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate:
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Sound research and analytical skills with keen attention to detail
- The ability to prioritise a demanding workload, meet deadlines and work under pressure
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to show initiative in working independently, but be a vital member of a close-knit team
- Excellent level of proficiency in IT, particularly MS Office
- A sense of humour
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 17 October 2019
Interview: week commencing 21st october
Start date: As soon as posible, to be negotiated
To apply for the role please send a CV and covering letter both no longer than two pages to