Date Added: 5 December 2019
: 3 February 2020
Job Title: Advocacy Officer
Working For: Humanists International
Salary: £26,500 rising to £28,000 upon successful completion of probation period
Humanists International is seeking a highly motivated and enthusiastic individual to join the advocacy team as an Advocacy Officer.
The successful applicant will work under the management of Humanists International’s Director of Advocacy and contribute to Humanists International’s advocacy output via the following tasks:
- Undertaking research tasks on relevant topics and providing briefing notes for the Director of Advocacy.
- Drafting written statements and submissions for the United Nations, Council of Europe, OSCE, African Commission, OAS, and any other relevant institutions.
- Analysing and summarising legal / official documents.
- Liaising with Humanists International members to use their knowledge and experience to feed into research and output.
- Preparing advocacy briefings for submission on human rights cases and country situations.
- Representing and speaking on behalf of Humanists International at international conferences and in bilaterals meetings.
- Preparing presentations (often with the use of powerpoint).
- Undertaking administrative tasks to support the Director of Advocacy in her work
- Excellent understanding of, interest in, and demonstrable commitment to human rights and equality issues - particularly in the areas of freedom of religion or belief, freedom of expression, the rights of women, the rights of the child, and the rights of LGBTI people.
- Good knowledge and background in international human rights law, international law, ethics or global justice.
- Experience in the area of advocacy and/or research.
- Familiarity (academic and/or practical) with the international human rights systems.
- Good research, analytical and drafting skills.
- Good writing skills and an excellent command of English.
- Well-organised, efficient and able to work independently.
- A clear and convincing communicator.
- Excellent understanding of, and sympathy with, the philosophy and policies of Humanists International.
- A good knowledge of other international NGOs and their role and scope.
- Knowledge of other languages (especially French, Spanish or Arabic) would be an asset and to be able to undertake translation tasks.
- Prepared to travel, and do so alone.
Closing Date: 3 February 2020
Successful shortlisted candidates will be notified by Tuesday 4th February 2020. Interviews are currently scheduled to take place in our East London HQ on Tuesday 11th February 2020.
To apply, please complete the application form found at:https://humanists.international/about/work-with-us/ and send it, along with a copy of your CV, to firstname.lastname@example.org