Date Added: 21 December 2019
: 17 January 2020
Job Title: Senior Parliamentary Assistant
Working For: Lord Popat of Harrow
Salary: £30,000 + benefits
Lord Popat is recruiting an enthusiastic, well organised and hard-working Senior Parliamentary Assistant to join his Westminster office, as well as providing occasional business support to his family business in Harrow.
• Draft parliamentary speeches and questions.
• Research for and drafting of speeches, articles and correspondence.
• Manage PR and Media - writing press releases, newsletters and mailshots to promote the Peer's work, updating the Peer's website and social media accounts,
• Oversee Parliamentary email account - responding to enquiries from constituents, other politicians, the media, lobbyists and pressure groups.
• Perform secretarial and administrative duties - including managing the Peer's diary, making travel arrangements and taking minutes at meetings, filing and updating databases.
• Support Lord Popat’s Trade Envoy duties.
• Attend meetings with or on behalf of Lord Popat as required.
• Monitor parliamentary business and future programme.
• Perform all communications duties.
• Oversee interns.
• Receive guests.
• Support Lord Popat’s family business.
The successful candidate will have the following attributes/abilities:
• Highly organised with the ability to prioritise and manage a busy workload.
• Previous experience of working in Parliament.
• An appreciation of the importance of attention to detail, discretion and confidentiality.
• Impeccable written English, along with outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
• A keen interest in politics and current affairs.
• Ability to work as part of a team.
• Strong research and IT skills.
• Sympathetic to the aims and values of the Conservative Party.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 17 January 2020
Interviews will be held in Westminster at the end of January. Some candidates will be asked to attend a second interview in Westminster. The successful applicant will be asked to start work as soon as possible thereafter.
Applicants are asked to send their CV and a covering letter of no more than one side of A4 to Ameet Jogia (firstname.lastname@example.org).