Date Added: 4 January 2020
: 16 January 2020
Job Title: Parliamentary Assistant
Working For: David Johnston OBE MP (Wantage)
Salary: In line with IPSA pay scales
David Johnston OBE MP is seeking a full time Parliamentary Assistant to help ensure the smooth running of his office. This will be a varied role and so the successful candidate will be an excellent multi-tasker, have excellent attention to detail and be well-suited to working in a small team in a busy office. The role will be based in Westminster but occasional travel to the constituency may be required for which travel costs between the constituency and parliament will be reimbursed.
Previous experience of parliament/politics is not required for this role, but candidates will be expected to demonstrate previous experience of undertaking either office tasks or research tasks that are similar to those below.
Duties will include (but are not limited to):
• Managing David’s diary to ensure he manages commitments effectively and efficiently
• Being the first person to greet visitors and answer telephone calls
• Drafting press releases, maintaining the website and social media; overseeing the production of newsletters and leaflets
• Liaising with individuals/organisations on David’s behalf
• Researching local and national issues to support David’s work and providing analysis as required
• Competent use of IT and Microsoft Office to draft correspondence and reports and the creation and maintainance of spreadsheets
Candidates should have the following skills and attributes:
* Experience of either office tasks or research tasks
* Strong written and oral communication skills and an excellent telephone manner.
* Excellent attention to detail.
* The ability to work with sensitivity, discretion and with strict adherence to data protection legislation.
* A high degree of organisational skill and the ability to manage and prioritise competing demands.
* Ability to work proactively and independently as part of a small team.
* Confidence in dealing with members of the public from a wide variety of backgrounds in a compassionate and empathetic way.
* Sympathy with the aims and values of the Conservative Party.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 16 January 2020
The closing date for applications is 9am. Interviews are expected to take place on either the 17th, 20th or 21st January.
Interested applicants should send a CV and tailored cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org