Date Added: 7 January 2020
: 17 January 2020
Job Title: Constituency Caseworker
Working For: Yasmin Qureshi MP (Bolton South East)
Yasmin Qureshi MP is seeking a full-time Caseworker to work in her constituency office.
Applicants should have an interest in local & national politics, an awareness of the constituency & be sympathetic with the values of the Labour party. Mature applicants welcome.
Occasional evening/weekend work will be required. There will be a requirement to attend induction & occasional training days in London or other locations. Travel for training will be paid.
- Deal with & monitor all incoming telephone & visitor enquiries, respond to emails & letters, efficient data & file management.
- Manage own caseload, ensuring all cases are logged, updated with any actions taken & outstanding queries are followed up, with urgent cases reported to the Member or Office Manager
- Ensure office records are kept, adhering to the Data Protection Act principles & respecting the confidentiality of data at all times.
- Build & maintain links with local organisations & elected representatives.
- Provide advice & support to constituents on a broad range of issues, such as financial, housing, welfare benefits, & help to resolve problems through liaison with government agencies, local government agencies & voluntary sector organisations.
- Maintain an up-to-date knowledge of relevant guidelines/legislation as appropriate.
- Attend surgeries & other meetings
- Provide general secretarial & administrative support to ensure the smooth running of the constituency office.
- Excellent oral & written communication skills to a high professional standard
- Excellent IT skills including Microsoft Word, Excel & Outlook & the Internet
- Excellent organisational & administrative skills with the ability to prioritise tasks, meet tight deadlines, work independently & with minimum supervision as well as the ability to work effectively as part of a small team
- An ability to help constituents in a positive, helpful, sympathetic, sensitive & non-judgemental manner
- At least one year experience in a similar role
- Competence in using CFL Caseworker
- Experience of: managing & progressing casework, handling sensitive issues; working with confidential information; working with people who have mental health difficulties
- Existing security clearance.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 17 January 2020
Interviews will take place as soon as possible, and an appointment might be made before the closing date, should a suitable candidate be found. The ideal applicant will be available immediately.
Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the title Constituency Caseworker. The email should include your CV and a short covering letter (no more than a page) explaining why you would be suitable for the role.