Date Added: 8 January 2020
: 20 January 2020
Job Title: Policy and Communications Manager
Working For: Financial Ombudsman Service
Salary: Up to £55,000
We’re looking for a policy and communications manager to work alongside our head of external relations supporting our strategic engagement with businesses, trade associations and consumer groups. By understanding the strategic issues that the ombudsman faces, as well as the context in which our work is relevant in the outside world, you will help to build trusted relationships at all levels and play a key role in shaping our response to an ever-changing world.
Our decisions make a real difference to the consumers and businesses directly affected as well as other stakeholders who have an interest in our work. It’s vital that we understand the wider environment so that we can reflect this in our own plans and messages – and that we’re able to join the dots between what’s going on in the outside world and the complaints we’re seeing. It’s also important that we use insight gained from the hundreds of thousands of cases we consider each year to contribute to the development of the thinking amongst policy makers and wider discussions from a range of stakeholders.
We are looking for someone who is:
• An excellent communicator and able to understand what’s going on behind the headlines, translating sometimes complex issues into plain English quickly and accurately
• Has extensive experience dealing with stakeholders and is skilled at building trusted networks, both internally and externally,
• Has experience in briefing senior colleagues – working with the head of external relations you will be able to help support our chair and chief executive & chief ombudsman, making sure they have the right information and insights they need for meetings and engagement at the right time.
• Has existing experience of devising and implementing engagement strategies.
• Has an interest and understanding of public policy issues – and how they’re changing.
• May have worked in or close to central government or for one of our other key stakeholders (for example, consumer groups and trade bodies).
• Experience of financial services is preferred but not essential.
Closing Date: 20 January 2020
If you think you’ve got the skills and experience we’re looking for and would like to apply, please send us your CV and a cover letter (no more than 300 words) letting us know why you think you’re the right person for the role.