Date Added: 9 January 2020
: 20 January 2020
Job Title: Deputy Editor
Working For: ConservativeHome.com
Salary: Very competitive
The UK's most influential Conservative-supporting news and analysis website seeks a full-time Deputy Editor. This is a senior role in a fast-developing outlet at a very exciting time for the site and centre right political journalism.
The ideal candidate will be a skilled writer with political insight and experience, able to turn their hand to the varied tasks of producing a daily high-quality online publication.
- Writing daily news, opinion and analysis articles on the subject of UK politics;
- Commissioning and editing articles from outside contributors;
- Supporting the Editor in planning and producing ConservativeHome content, and maintaining quality and consistency;
- Aiding the Editor in the management of an experienced team of journalists;
- Fulfilling Duty Editor shifts (these include the production of a comprehensive round-up of the day's newspapers and our morning newsletter for 9am, and require an early start; the Deputy Editor would normally do circa two such shifts a week);
- Chairing ConservativeHome events at Conservative Party Conference and providing expert analysis at ConservativeHome events;
- Representing ConservativeHome on broadcast media;
- Managing social media channels.
Key skills, experience and qualities
- Excellent written English.
- The ability to prioritise and work under pressure.
- Journalistic experience. You will have written for established print or online outlets, produced a blog for yourself or an organisation, ghost-written newspaper articles for others, or similar. You know how to develop an argument, and what is and is not a story.
- Drive and initiative. You are full of ideas for stories and articles, and are able to work independently, reacting to events and following instructions on the basis of your judgement. We mostly work remotely.
- Political knowledge/experience. You are excited by political events, have excellent contacts, and are keen to develop. Perhaps you have already worked in a Westminster newsroom, campaign team or Parliamentary office.
- Understanding and experience of social media, particularly Twitter.
- Sympathy with the values and aims of ConservativeHome.
Desirable skills, experience and qualities
- Experience of Wordpress.
- Experience of managing and supporting junior colleagues.
- Video editing skills.
- Broadcast media and/or podcasting experience.
Closing Date: 20 January 2020
Following the close of applications at 6pm, interviews will take place in London later the same week. The role will start as soon as feasibly possible, dependent upon the successful candidate's availability.
To apply, please send a one-page cover letter and a CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Links to examples of writing, social media output and broadcast experience are welcome, within reason, to illustrate skills and experience.