Date Added: 12 January 2020
: 24 January 2020
Job Title: Communications Officer
Working For: Neale Hanvey MP (Kirkcaldy and Cowdenbeath)
Salary: In line with IPSA pay scales i.e. £19,641 - £28,804 pro rata per annum (depending on skills and experience).
This is an exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic and highly capable individual to join Neale Hanvey MP’s constituency team to support his work as the newly elected Member of Parliament for Kirkcaldy and Cowdenbeath.
• Proactive and reactive communications with all press and media outlets.
• Establishing and maintaining good relations with local and national media outlets.
• Monitoring, analysing and producing content (including infographics and videos) for the Member’s social media accounts and website.
• Attending constituency meetings, visits and events with the Member.
• Preparing briefings for media interviews.
• Monitoring local and national media coverage and briefing the Member on relevant issues.
• Undertaking projects and arranging events.
• Supporting the team with constituency casework.
• Travelling to London to provide support to the Member from his Westminster office when required.
• Undertaking other administrative duties in support of the Member’s work as required.
Essential Competences and Experience
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Strong organisational and time management skills with the ability to work within tight deadlines.
• Previous experience of dealing with press enquiries, drafting press releases and producing social media content.
• Good IT skills and a working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications.
• Educated to Higher level (or able to demonstrate equivalent ability).
• The ability to deal compassionately and respectfully with sensitive issues on behalf of constituents.
• An interest in and general understanding of politics in Scotland and the rest of the UK.
• A flexible approach with the ability to work as part of a team and on own initiative within a small constituency office and from the Westminster office when required.
Desirable Competences and Experience
• Demonstrable ability to create a website and manage content.
• Experience of using graphics and video editing software.
• Local knowledge of the Kirkcaldy and Cowdenbeath constituency.
This is a permanent position and full time or part time hours will be considered.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 24 January 2020
Interviews are expected to take place on Friday 31st January with a start date as soon as possible thereafter.
To apply please send a CV and covering letter demonstrating how you meet the requirements of the role to firstname.lastname@example.org.