Date Added: 12 January 2020
: 27 January 2020
Job Title: Parliamentary Assistant
Working For: Neale Hanvey MP (Kirkcaldy and Cowdenbeath)
Salary: In line with IPSA pay scales i.e. £20,420 - £32,353 pro rata per annum (depending on skills and experience).
This is an exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic and highly capable individual to join Neale Hanvey MP’s constituency team to support his work as the newly elected Member of Parliament for Kirkcaldy and Cowdenbeath.
• Analysing, evaluating and interpreting data to ensure the Member is accurately informed of key issues.
• Developing and maintaining current knowledge of Bills, Early Day Motions, legislation, Hansard, debates, etc.
• Drafting Early Day Motions and Parliamentary Questions.
• Undertaking research, producing briefings and preparing speeches.
• Monitoring media coverage and briefing the Member on relevant issues.
• Undertaking projects and arranging events.
• Drafting responses to policy enquiries from constituents and supporting the team with constituency casework.
• Travelling to London to provide support to the Member from his Westminster office when required, attending relevant events and meetings, and producing minutes.
• Undertaking other administrative duties in support of the Member’s work as required.
Essential Competences and Experience
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Strong organisational and time management skills with the ability to work within tight deadlines.
• The ability to deal compassionately and respectfully with sensitive issues on behalf of constituents.
• Educated to Bachelor’s (undergraduate) degree level with minimum 2:2 (or able to demonstrate equivalent ability).
• Good IT skills and a working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications.
• Experience of undertaking research and producing reports/briefings.
• An interest in and general understanding of politics in Scotland and the rest of the UK.
• A flexible approach with the ability to work as part of a team and on own initiative within a small constituency office and from the Westminster office when required.
Desirable Competences and Experience
• An understanding of the parliamentary system and processes.
• Experience of working in an office environment.
• Local knowledge of the Kirkcaldy and Cowdenbeath constituency.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 27 January 2020
Interviews are expected to take place on Monday 3rd February with a start date as soon as possible thereafter.
To apply please send a CV and covering letter demonstrating how you meet the requirements of the role to email@example.com.