Date Added: 15 January 2020
: 20 January 2020
Job Title: Parliamentary Assistant/Researcher
Working For: Stephen Doughty MP (Cardiff South & Penarth)
Salary: In line with IPSA payscales
Stephen is looking for a Parliamentary Assistant/Researcher, self-starting, with excellent relationship and communication skills, an attention to detail, the ability to handle complex issues, undertake administrative tasks and manage a busy Westminster diary, and an ability to prepare briefings, speeches and correspondence.
Must be able to demonstrate knowledge of and experience working on any, or all, of the following issues: Home Affairs; Brexit; Foreign Affairs; Defence; Economy/Business; International Development; Energy/Climate Change; Wales.
Interests in equalities, music and arts would also be desirable.
Previous experience of a similar role would be helpful, but candidates with a wide range of educational and employment backgrounds should consider applying.
This is a full-time position, but some limited flexibility may be available. Evening working may be required, for which appropriate time off in lieu will be given. Stephen is an equal opportunities employer.
- Educated to degree level in a relevant subject area. A post-graduate qualification would be an advantage.
- 1 year minimum experience in a similar role working for an elected representative, or in a policy role in the public, private or voluntary sectors.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to undertake desk based research.
- Ability to work autonomously, with minimal day-to-day direction.
- Ability to manage a busy diary and respond to external enquiries, effectively and efficiently.
- Deal with daily enquiries.
- Carry out research into local, national and international issues as required, including in relation to constituency enquiries.
- Prepare briefings, speaking notes, speeches and articles as required.
- Monitor Parliamentary business, and ensure Stephen is appropriately supported for meetings, debates and other events.
- Liaise on behalf of Stephen with national organisations and individuals.
- Undertake other administrative duties, including diary, as required.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 20 January 2020
Start Date: ASAP
- 1 page cover letter explaining why you meet the requirements for the position.
- 2 page CV.
- Two referees (most recent manager, and one other professional who must not be a family member).
The above should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org marked “Stephen Doughty MP – Parliamentary Assistant” in the subject line.