Date Added: 4 February 2020
: 14 February 2020
Job Title: Parliamentary Assistant
Working For: Nick Smith MP (Blaenau Gwent)
Salary: In line with IPSA payscales - £26,000
Nick Smith MP is looking for a full-time Parliamentary Assistant to work in his Westminster office.
The successful applicant will:
- Analyse, evaluate and interpret data to ensure Member is accurately informed on key issues.
- Develop and maintain current knowledge of bills, Early Day Motions, legislation, Hansard and debates etc.
- Diary management.
- Ensure the Member is fully briefed on potential questions and motions to be put to the House.
- Give advice on policy issues.
- Monitor media coverage and brief the Member on relevant issues.
- Prepare and present briefing notes for committees, press releases, parliamentary questions etc.
- Progress casework as required.
- Project management.
- Project work.
- Provide generalist admin support.
- Respond to routine correspondence and enquiries.
- Drafting speeches for the Member
- Undertake research, usually from readily available sources on straightforward subjects.
Interest in areas such as public health and economic development and an understanding of UK and Welsh Government responsibilities are desirable, as is previous experience of working in Parliament or similar environment.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 14 February 2020
Closing time for applications is noon.
Interview Date: the afternoon of Tuesday 18th February 2020
Please send your CV along with a one-page covering letter outlining your interest and experience in the role to Nick.Smith.MP@Parliament.uk