Date Added: 10 February 2020
: 21 February 2020
Job Title: Caseworker
Working For: Jo Stevens MP (Cardiff Central)
Location: Cardiff Central
Salary: IPSA caseworker salary scale will apply
Jo Stevens MP is looking for a full-time caseworker to join her established, friendly and busy Cardiff Central constituency team. This is a perfect opportunity for someone with excellent casework and communication skills, who works well in a small team and has a desire to help find solutions to problems.
You will provide advice and support to constituents on a range of issues, including immigration, housing, welfare, financial and health, and help to resolve problems through liaison with UK and Welsh Government agencies, Councils, third sector and other stakeholders and organisations.
You will also attend events and meetings with the MP, including regular advice surgeries in the constituency.
Flexibility to work on the occasional evening and weekend will be required, which will be compensated with time off in lieu.
Responsibilities will include:
• Attending constituency surgeries and meetings.
• Managing and progressing a varied portfolio of casework, including logging cases, taking appropriate actions promptly, monitoring progress, analysing patterns of enquiries and producing reports.
• Liaising with UK and Welsh Government agencies, Councils, third sector and other organisations to help resolve cases.
• Responding to correspondence and enquiries from constituents, including drafting letters, emails and documents.
• Retaining records and information confidentially and in line with the Data Protection Act.
• Providing administrative support for the office.
• Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills, with a positive and flexible approach.
• Excellent IT skills including ability to use a casework tracking system (the office uses Caseworker), MS Office Applications (Word, Excel and Outlook), Internet and Intranet.
• Ability to draft letters and emails to a high professional standard.
• Motivated to work independently as well as the ability to work effectively as part of a small team.
• Good office administration skills.
• Good telephone manner and the ability to demonstrate patience and empathy.
• Experience of casework
• Legal or advice experience
• Experience of organising and running events
• Full clean UK Driving Licence, desirable but not required.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 21 February 2020
Interview date: 24 February 2020
Applicants may be asked to undertake a written task at the interview, this will be communicated to those invited to attend.
Start date: as soon as possible
Please send your CV (no more than 2 sides of A4) and covering letter (no more than one side of A4) setting out how you meet the essential and desirable criteria to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that, due to the expected quality of applications, evidence of desirable skills may be a deciding factor in shortlisting.