Date Added: 6 March 2020
: 27 March 2020
Job Title: Part Time Administrative Officer
Working For: Bob Seely MP (Isle of Wight)
Location: Isle of Wight
Salary: In line with IPSA pay scales
Bob Seely MP is seeking an enthusiastic Administrative Officer to join his busy constituency office. Although previous administrative experience would be beneficial, it is not essential. More important are strong organisational and Microsoft Office skills and the flexibility to work in a busy office environment. The Isle of Wight is the largest constituency in the country and this will be a demanding and rewarding role. The successful applicant will be expected to carry out the following duties as part of the office team:
- Managing the diary, in conjunction with the Office Manager/ Parliamentary Assistant
- Photocopying, filing, record-keeping and typing correspondence
- Opening and dispatching mail
- Handling administrative arrangements for meetings with members of the public/MP surgeries
- Assisting other members of staff where needed
- Keeping the office supplied and liaising with external suppliers when required
- Processing claims under the MP's expenses scheme as instructed by the Office Manager
- Being one of the first points of contact for the office - responding to enquiries by telephone and email and directing them to the appropriate team members.
The position is part-time, ideally 3 days per week but hours will be negotiable. The position will be based in Mr Seely’s constituency office, with occasional travel within the constituency or for training in London.
The role would suit a highly organised individual who is sympathetic to the aims and values of the Conservative Party.
The successful applicant will be able to demonstrate the following essential skills:
- strong organisational/administrative skills with good attention to detail
- good general IT skills and competence with Microsoft Office packages
- excellent written and verbal communication skills
- ability to work independently and within a small team
- good understanding of current data protection laws and the ability to work in a confidential manner at all times
The following skills/experience are desirable:
- experience of processing/managing expense claims
- knowledge of local constituency issues
- previous experience working in a politician’s office
There will be a requirement to attend induction and occasional training. There will also be briefing days in London and other locations within the region. Travel will be paid.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 27 March 2020
Applications close at 9am, with interviews expected to be held in the Isle of Wight Constituency office on 6 April 2020. The successful applicant would be expected to start as soon as possible.
All applicants should send their CV with a detailed covering letter setting out how they meet the requirements of the role (500 words max) to:
Steph Hendry, Office Manager - firstname.lastname@example.org , with the subject line “Administration Officer application”.