Date Added: 11 March 2020
: 27 March 2020
Job Title: Parliamentary intern
Working For: Alex Davies-Jones MP (Pontypridd)
Salary: £15,990 pro-rata
Alex Davies-Jones, MP for Pontypridd in South Wales is looking for an enthusiastic, organised intern to join her busy Westminster office.
This paid internship will consist of two days a week and will last 3 months.
It is our preference that the successful applicant is able to work on Tuesday’s and Wednesday’s – though there is some flexibility.
The successful applicant will have a key role in supporting Alex’s Senior Researcher in carrying out administrative and parliamentary duties.
As a newly elected MP, Alex is an energetic fighter for Pontypridd. Alex runs a number of campaigns from breastfeeding and IVF to the environment and street harassment.
Applicants should be passionate about politics, Wales and about making change. Alex is all about doing politics differently and our team are a friendly bunch who are open to new ideas. We are looking for someone who is creative and determined to add real value to the team.
Responsibilities will include (often in the course of a single day!) but are not exclusive to:
- Media monitoring.
- Policy research on complex issues.
- Writing speeches and preparing speaking notes at short notice.
- Communications – drafting and coming up with ideas for blogs, press releases, tweets, Facebook posts and op-ed articles.
- Organising events.
- Admin tasks e.g. arranging meetings and diary management.
- Talking calls from constituents and drafting letters to constituents.
- Research on local, regional or national issues.
Our office are really looking for the best fit, and so you do not have to have worked for an MP before to apply for this job.
Energy, enthusiasm and a zest for politics and getting “stuck in” are more important to Alex than academic success.
Ideally, the successful applicant would have:
- A good knowledge of Alex’s campaigns, Pontypridd, and devolution in Wales
- Prior experience of working in an office
- Excellent research, writing and communication skills
- Social media experience
- Ability to work independently, show initiative and work well as part of a wider team, demonstrating a positive and flexible attitude.
Occasional evening work may be required to help Alex with events.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 27 March 2020
Interviews will be held in Westminster and will commence shortly after the closing date.
Start date: Monday 4th May 2020 - Friday 24th July
Closing time for applications: 5pm
Applicants should sent a cover letter (no more than one page) and a CV (no more than two pages) to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject:
'APPLICATION - PARLIAMENTARY INTERNSHIP - First name, Second name'
Please also confirm your availability/preference for days to be worked - including whether you are available on Tuesday and Wednesday each week.
Due to an anticipated high level of applications, only those shortlisted for interview will receive feedback.