Date Added: 17 June 2020
: 3 July 2020
Job Title: Parliamentary Assistant
Working For: Rt Hon Alistair Carmichael MP (Orkney & Shetland)
Salary: In line with IPSA pay scales
Alistair Carmichael MP is seeking to recruit a Parliamentary Assistant to join his team in the House of Commons. The successful candidate will be required to cover a wide range of parliamentary duties including managing a busy diary, drafting correspondence, general research duties, engaging with internal and external contacts, being the first point of contact for constituent and public enquiries, dealing with some media enquiries and coordinating work with other staff based in the House of Commons and two busy constituency offices. The main areas of political engagement will centre around farming, fishing, connectivity, human rights, and foreign affairs. An ability to work as part of a team while prioritising your workload to deliver work to set deadlines is essential.
• Manage the Member’s diary commitments.
• Analyse, evaluate and interpret data to ensure that the Member is accurately informed on key issues.
• Develop and maintain current knowledge of bills, Early Day Motions, legislation, Hansard, and debates.
• Ensure that the Member is fully briefed on potential questions and motions to be put to the House.
• Give advice on policy issues.
• Monitor media coverage and brief the Member on relevant issues.
• Prepare and present briefing notes for committees, press releases, and parliamentary questions.
• Progress casework as required.
• Project Management.
• Provide general administrative support.
• Respond to routine correspondence and enquiries.
• Supervise staff members where appropriate.
• Undertake research where required.
• Experience of working in a busy and fast-changing environment.
• Demonstrable political judgement and extensive knowledge of UK politics.
• Strong organisation skills and the ability to prioritise tasks.
• Able to work under pressure to meet tight deadlines with an eye for detail.
• Excellent communication skills and confident interacting with people at all levels.
• Able to work effectively in a small team.
• Competent use of IT including full proficiency with Microsoft Office.
• Sympathy with the aims and policies of the Liberal Democrats is desirable.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 3 July 2020
The closing time for applications is 17:00. Late applications will not be considered.
Interviews will be held during the week commencing 6th July. The successful applicant should be available to take up the post in July or early August.
Please apply by emailing your CV and a covering letter outlining your interest in the role to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line Parliamentary Assistant Application.
Regrettably, it will not be possible to respond to each applicant – if you have not heard back by 17:00 on Monday 13th July 2020 you have been unsuccessful on this occasion.