Date Added: 19 June 2020
: 2 July 2020
Job Title: Parliamentary Assistant
Working For: Nick Thomas-Symonds MP (Torfaen)
Salary: £23,839 per annum
Nick Thomas-Symonds MP is looking to recruit a Parliamentary Assistant for his Torfaen office. The ideal candidate will be well organised with very strong research, communication and administrative skills. This is a good opportunity to gain experience in a busy constituency office and join an experienced team.
The duties of this role would include but not be limited to:
• Deal with complex constituency queries on Nick’s behalf, including drafting letters, policy emails and casework
• Establish and develop appropriate strategies around research development
• Horizon-scanning, anticipate what advice or action may be required; proactively identify problems and resolve them
• Lead on constituency project work as required
• Maintain and utilise knowledge of relevant legislation, including impact on the local constituency
• Work on local weekly press releases and articles
• Research and monitor local, regional and national media coverage online and through social media and brief Nick on relevant issues
• Regular updating of website and contact creator
• Research local, regional or national issues to support Nick’s work
• Respond to routine correspondence and enquiries from constituents, the media, lobbyists and pressure groups
• Organise local events and visits
• Office and campaigning experience (desirable)
• Excellent oral and written communication skills, paying attention to detail
• Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work as part of a team
• Reliable and trustworthy
• Ability to prioritise tasks and work effectively in a busy office and under pressure
• Knowledge of Parliament (desirable)
• Sympathetic with the aims and values of the Labour Party
• Occasional evening and weekend work may be required
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 2 July 2020
Interviews will be conducted between 10th July and the close of play on 17th July (excluding weekend).
To apply for the post, please send a current C.V. and a covering letter (of no more than one side of A4) by 5pm on the closing date, with the subject title PARLIAMENTARY ASSISTANT APPLICATION to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that only successful candidates will be contacted.