Date Added: 25 June 2020
: 10 July 2020
Job Title: Constituency Assistant (Three days per week (24 hours) or equivalent)
Working For: Andrew Griffith MP (Arundel & South Downs)
Location: West Sussex (work from home and in constituency office)
Salary: In line with IPSA pay scales.
Andrew Griffith MP is looking to recruit a part-time Constituency Assistant based in West Sussex to start as soon as possible.
Although reporting formally to Andrew, supervision will primarily be provided by Andrew’s experienced constituency-based Senior Parliamentary Assistant.
The role would initially be working from home and will transition to Andrew’s constituency office in one of the small market towns of Arundel and South Down’s when one is established (with an element of flexible working remaining an option then too).
The ideal candidate will be enthusiastic, highly organised and enjoy working with a wide variety of people. Would suit someone with previous experience in a corporate environment who now seeks the ability to combine interesting and varied work with flexibility on their hours & location. Previous employment working for an MP is not expected and a positive learning attitude and willingness to roll up your sleeves is more valuable than having directly relevant experience.
Key responsibilities include:
• Dealing with enquiries from constituents
• Office support, file and database management, mail handling
• Planning, co-ordinating, and managing a selection of constituency-based projects
• Communicate aspects of Andrew’s work to relevant audiences
• Researching constituency and West Sussex issues to support Andrew
• Liaising and arranging meetings or follow-up actions with local councils, enterprises, voluntary groups, other public organisations (e.g. South Downs National Park authority, local NHS Trusts etc)
Required skills and attributes:
• Excellent attention to detail, especially in written communications.
• The ability to work in a sensitive and confidential manner at all times
• Good IT skills including familiarity with Microsoft Office packages and a willingness to pick up skills using new software when required.
• Good telephone manner.
• An ability to take the initiative and work independently & proactively to manage competing deadlines.
• Awareness of current affairs.
• Sympathetic to the aims and values of the Conservative Party.
• As part of the role, some travel throughout the constituency will be required as well as (infrequent) evening and weekend work (for example attending relevant public meetings).
• Full driving licence and own car.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 10 July 2020
Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis.
We may appoint before the closing date if the right candidate is found.
First round interviews will take place with Andrew’s Senior Assistant and Office Manager via Zoom
There will be a short writing exercise prior to final interview with Andrew
Interested applicants should email their CV and a one-page cover letter to Alexander Black (Office Manager) at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include ‘Constituency Assistant’ in the subject line.
Three references will be required later in the process.
The ideal start date will be in mid-July but Andrew would be comfortable waiting until the start of the school term in September for the right candidate.
Please note that due to the large number of applications, we may be unable to provide individual feedback, although we will give confirmation of our decision on your application.