Date Added: 27 June 2020
: 10 July 2020
Job Title: Parliamentary/Constituency intern
Working For: Sam Tarry MP (Ilford South)
Sam Tarry MP for Ilford South is looking for an enthusiastic, organised intern to join his busy Westminster and constituency office.
Strongly seeking applications from underrepresented groups, including BAME and women.
This paid internship is for a full-time post and will last 12 months. Generous holiday allowance of 28 days.
The successful applicant will have a key role in supporting Sam’s existing team in carrying out administrative and parliamentary and constituency duties. As a newly-elected MP, Sam is an energetic and active MP for Ilford South. Sam runs a busy office and a number of campaigns.
Sam is Parliamentary Private Secretary to the Shadow Secretary of State for BEIS. Sam is also Parliamentary lead for elections and organising for Labour's Deputy Leader. Sam is a member of the Transport Select Committee, and is the President of the Centre for Labour and Social Studies.
Sam is all about bringing innovation to politics, our team is diverse and a friendly - and are open to new ideas. We are looking for someone who is creative, passionate and determined to add real value to the team.
Responsibilities will include (often in the course of a single day) but are not exclusive to:
• Media monitoring
• Policy research on complex issues
• Writing speeches and preparing speaking notes at short notice
• Drafting and creating ideas for blogs, press releases, tweets, Facebook posts and op-ed articles
• Organising events
• Admin tasks e.g. arranging meetings and diary management
• Talking calls from constituents/drafting letters to constituents
• Research local, regional or national issues
• Assist with casework
• Assist with BEIS and Committee related work
Our office is really looking for the best fit, and so you do not have to have worked for an MP before to apply for this job.
Energy, enthusiasm and a zest for politics and getting “stuck in” are more important to Sam than academic success.
Ideally, the applicant would have:
• A good knowledge of Sam’s campaigns and the type of work that his constituency entails.
• Prior experience of working in an office - Excellent research, writing and communication skills
• Ability to work independently, show initiative and work well as part of a wider team, demonstrating a positive and flexible attitude.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 10 July 2020
Interviews will be held virtually and will commence shortly after the closing date.
Start date w/c Monday 13th July 2020 - Friday 24th July
Applicants should sent a cover letter (no more than one page) and a CV (no more than two pages) to: email@example.com, with the subject:
'APPLICATION - PARLIAMENTARY INTERNSHIP - First name, Second name'
Due to an anticipated high level of applications, only those shortlisted for interview will receive feedback.