Date Added: 30 June 2020
: 27 July 2020
Job Title: Immigration Policy Adviser for David Simmonds MP
Working For: The Refugee, Asylum and Migration Project (RAMP)
Salary: 2-days per week. Day-rate dependent on experience
The Refugee, Asylum and Migration Policy Project (RAMP) is looking for a new person to join the team to serve as a policy adviser to David Simmonds, Conservative MP for Ruislip, Northwood and Pinner. The adviser will be seconded into David Simmond's office from RAMP, which is a cross-party project with advisers currently working with Kate Green MP, Tim Farron MP, and the Bishop of Durham.
• Providing briefing on resettlement, asylum and migration legislation, debates and policy discussions at the request of the MP.
• Supporting the MP in drafting speeches, articles and amendments.
• Where appropriate, contributing to internal Conservative party policy discussions.
• Working with the other RAMP advisers to coordinate RAMP parliamentary strategy, identifying opportunities for cross-party interventions, particularly around the RAMP priority themes of citizenship, destitution and economic migration.
Working with other RAMP advisers to provide secretariat support to the All Party Parliamentary Group on Migration.
• Meeting with other parliamentarians and other organisations working on resettlement, asylum and migration policy to identify possible campaigns and parliamentary interventions.
We are looking for an organised, self-starter with the following experience, knowledge and skills:
• Experience of working in parliament or for a political party.
• Knowledge and understanding of parliamentary procedure.
• Knowledge and understanding of resettlement, asylum and migration policy.
• Sympathy with the ideals and objectives of the Conservative Party.
• 2+ years experience working in policy or public affairs.
• A highly proficient writer.
• Able to both think and act strategically, and to react quickly to fast-changing events.
• Able to build strong relationships quickly with a range of different stakeholders
More information about RAMP can be found online at www.rampproject.org
Closing Date: 27 July 2020
We are looking to recruit as soon as possible, and are very likely to interview potential candidates before the deadline above, or as soon as possible after the closing date.
Please send a CV and a short cover letter (no more than one side), setting out how your skills and experience would equip you for this role, to firstname.lastname@example.org with David Simmonds Adviser in the subject line.
Please use the same address if you would like to ask further questions about this role.