Date Added: 21 July 2020
: 21 August 2020
Job Title: Caseworker & Constituency Support Officer
Working For: Catherine West MP (Hornsey and Wood Green)
Catherine West MP is seeking a Caseworker & Constituency Support Officer, working between Westminster and her constituency office in Wood Green. The role is full-time, but we also welcome applications from people interested in a part-time, flexible role with a minimum of 19 hours per week. Any successful candidate would need to be available to work at Catherine’s busy advice surgeries held on Fridays in Wood Green.
You will work alongside and report to the Senior Caseworker with overall line-management by the Head of Office.
Your role will be to help resolve problems for Catherine’s constituents on issues including housing, welfare, immigration & health through liaison with government agencies, Haringey Council or other organisations.
You will also take responsibility for organising constituency events including Catherine’s Summer School for local young people which is next scheduled to take place in July 2021.
The job will include:
• Attending Catherine’s busy surgeries to interview constituents concerning their cases.
• Assessing and promptly responding to casework coming in via post, email, or telephone.
• Raising concerns by letter/email with appropriate agencies (ie Home Office) and keeping residents updated.
• Delivering events including Catherine’s Summer School, pop-up advice surgeries and community meetings.
• Assisting other colleagues as required.
• Some evening and weekend working may be required.
The successful candidate will have:
Casework experience, knowledge of immigration policy, housing policy and welfare rights.
Excellent oral and written communication skills, with a positive and flexible approach.
Good telephone manner and the ability to demonstrate patience and empathy.
Excellent IT skills including ability to use a casework tracking system, MS Office (Word, Excel and Outlook), Internet and Intranet.
Ability to work at pace without losing quality, and handle multiple competing demands and short deadlines.
Interest in current affairs, sympathy with Labour Party values and an awareness of the constituency of Hornsey & Wood Green.
At least one year’s casework experience for an elected representative.
Meetings and events organising experience.
Competence in using Caseworker.MP software.
Knowledge of a community language.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 21 August 2020
Interview Date: TBC (most likely Monday 7, Wednesday 9 or Monday 14 September)
Please note the interview will also include a test so please allow up to 90 minutes. This will be a two-stage process.
The successful candidate will start ASAP.
- a covering letter (one side A4 max) outlining your suitability focussing on the essential & desirable skills and indicating if you are interested in the role full or part-time,
- a CV (two sides A4 max)
- contact details for two references (including your current or most recent employer) to:
Due to the expected volume of applicants, we will only contact shortlisted candidates.
We welcome applications from groups currently underrepresented in the Houses of Parliament such as BAME communities and disabled people.